- 3-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1¼ cups lentils (green are best)
- 6-7 cups chicken broth
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
In a medium stock pot, heat extra virgin olive oil. Add the onion, celery and carrots and cook on medium-high heat for 15 minutes (stirring frequently) until the vegetables are soft and translucent. Add a dash of salt and pepper and then add wine and tomato paste.
Add the lentils and stir to combine. Add 6 cups of broth, reduce heat and cover with lid. Allow lentils to simmer for 40-45 minutes or until tender (stirring occasionally).
Remove lid and add more salt and pepper to taste. You may add more broth, depending on desired thickness of soup. Top off with grated Parmesan cheese.